X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project setup and exclusion of files

What should I include in my repository?

Dear all,

I'm still new to Git but I'm planning to use / start learning it. I have a VPS server that hosts a live and test site. I have a laptop which serves as a development machine.

My setup idea: develop on laptop, push to a Git server that resides on the VPS server. Pull updates from Git server to both test - and live server.

First question: would this be a good setup?

Second question: the actual files that will be modified / developed reside in 1 seperate directory. The root directory contains a Joomla installation that is seperated from my own code. My own code belongs to the same project / website as the Joomla pages, but technically they are seperated as I don't want to rely on Joomla. As Joomla is server dependent (i.e. every host has it's own Joomla files and database), I'm wondering if I should exclude all Joomla folders and files residing in the root directory of my project by using the .gitignore file? What are best practise rules here? Am I thinking in the right direction?

Thanks and kind regards, J.

In general, Git repos need to be kept small or the clone time can climb precipitously. So keeping "art" files in Git repos is normally a really bad idea (JPG, PNG, MOV, etc.). Same for binary files. Text files are the best match. You could always use "Git LFS" to handle the binaries.

Comment

Working...
    X