"Centralizing" multiple repositories into "one"

le_top
le_top
Hi One of the thing refraining me from using Git in a professionnal context is its (seamingly) distributed nature. However, I wonder I am misunderstanding how it works or if I am missing the right information to find how to do it. The context is the following: - I use sources from different repositories; - I want to make sure that I will have a copy of these repositories available on my server GIT even if these repositories disappear. I know that: - I can add these sources as remotes in my local git. I think that: - When I push my changes to the server, the server does not get/keep a copy of the remote repositories content. Questions - Is there a way to set up my git server so that my git server keeps a copy of the repositories I use and that I can still get the contents even after these "remote" repositories disappear? - Can I "more or less" make it appear as there is only one central repository, which would be my server. Thanks for your feedback.

Last updated

le_top
le_top

Hi (visiting this forum again after being spammed on the address that I reserved for it).

I now have more experience with GIT. While I have not found any tool doing it entirely transparently, but there are systems that have options to set up synchronisation between the repositories that are hosted under your own control and the remote uncontrolled ones.

As it's not automated, you need to have the discipline to use only your own copies and in case you need a new foreign repository set up a copy thereof and keep it synchronised.

There is some room to automate this as it is possible to detect that a foreign repository is cloned or referred to in some way, and then setup the managed clone more transparently.

It is likely more easy to keep at least archived copies of used repositories that would not be referred to in the projects themselves but that could serve as a fallback copy in case the original disappears - and some do disappear!

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply