Parallel application development

sidprice
sidprice
Hello, I am a new user to Git, coming to it after many years of using Visual Source Safe (VSS). I have a product that I am ready to move to management using Git and have been studying hard to understand how Git works and how I can use it in my workflow. At this time the product has two versions (maybe more in the future), each addressing a particular target usage. Much of the code is common between the two however where they diverge there are big differences. What I would like to do is to have a scheme that looks like this, could not figure how to have my message formatted so project two branches from "B" in project one. Project start -> A -> B -> C -> G Product One | D -> E -> F Product Two I understand how to do this using branching, my problem arises when I have an update or bug fix in say product one how can I merge the fix into project two. Suppose I fix a bug in product one and arrive at "H": Project start -> A -> B -> C -> G -> H Product One | D -> E -> F Product Two How can I apply ONLY the changes made to fix the bug in project one to project two? Thanks for you time and patience, Sid.

Last updated

sidprice
sidprice
Thanks Orbrey, it looks like "git-apply" might work if I branch project one to make the update, generate a diff between the branch point and the fix, and then apply that fix to project two. Does that sound right?
sidprice
sidprice
Thanks, I am getting closer to moving to using Git for this very large project, this was an important piece of information. It seems like a little more manual work than I have had to do with VSS but I am sure once I am familiar with the new workflow it will be great. Sid.

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply